Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Wrap-Up

I did this last year, and it's been fun reading last year's answers and answering the questions for 2013.

20 Questions for a New Year’s Eve Reflection

1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?

My daughter getting in touch with me, hands down.

2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?

Working a job that I just did not want to do anymore.

3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?

Again, with my daughter.  I really can't begin to tell you how much her emails and texts have meant to me.  Also, my Dad working out here in New Mexico for several months--it was great to hang out with my parents after so long not seeing them.

4. What was an unexpected obstacle?

Work.  I belatedly realized that I just really didn't want to be a Director of Nursing anymore.  Too much stress.

5. Pick three words to describe 2013.

Joyful, Lucky, Peaceful

6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2013 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you).

Lucky, Happy, Healthy

7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2013 (again, without asking).

Anxious, Finally, Smart

8. What were the best books you read this year?

Command and Control:  The Damascus Incident and the Illusion of Control by Eric Schlosser; Wool Omnibus Edition (Silo Saga 1-5) by Hugh Howey; Leviathan Wakes, James S. A. Corey

9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?

My husband, my daughter, my parents, my cousin

10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?

Rebooting my career.  I got out of management, and took a job that allows me to work from my home.  I continue to work PRN as a floor nurse every Sunday.  I love that I'm not on call 24/7, and that my new job is zero stress.  I love everything about my new job!

11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?

I was able to say I'm sorry for some pretty major life mistakes and be heard.

12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?

Being at peace with a lot of things this year.

13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?

Major ding-ding-ding!!  I quit smoking for good.  It's been over 3 months now, and I don't miss it one little bit.  Thank you Presbyterian for threatening me with higher health care premiums--it was the impetus I needed to finally quit. 

14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?

It's always a struggle for me to stay present.  I tend to zone out and get obsessed with whatever it is I'm currently interested in.  

15. What was the most enjoyable part of your work?

It's been fun learning a completely new job, a completely different kind of nursing, a completely different side to the healthcare industry.  Working at home is the cherry on top.

16. What was the most challenging part of your work?

The first part of the year was pretty challenging, because I had the realization that I really, really was over being a DON.  It's pretty hard to go to work knowing that you just don't want to do it anymore.  As luck would have it, though, I wouldn't have found my new job, if I hadn't worked at that particular building, during that particular few months.  So there was a silver lining.

17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?

As always, my computer.

18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?

Learning a new job.

19. What was biggest thing you learned this past year?

Never lose hope, someday, things will change (and they have!)

20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2013 for you.

Joy comes from unexpected places.

2 comments:

  1. I have been contemplating how I wanted to end 2013 and begin 2014 on my blog....I am stealing this if that is okay! Never Lose Hope....I am hoping to learn that this year. Happy New Year Lisa!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!