I got some absolutely great news last week from my parents. A bit of backstory--my father is a semi-retired nuclear engineer. He's been mostly retired for a year or two, and it's been driving him crazy. He's your classic type-A engineer type, not the retirement type. Over the last few years, since his "official" retirement from Bechtel, he's been doing a few consulting jobs a year, keeping his hand in. Things had sort of dried up though, and he was none too happy about not working every now and then.
The great news--a former boss called him out of the blue and asked him to come out here, to New Mexico, specifically to Los Alamos National Laboratory, for a consulting job that could last up to a year. He jumped on it, and my parents rolled into town Saturday.
We hadn't seen each other in 3 years, so it was a big deal!
They stayed overnight, and drove on up to Santa Fe (about an hour away) to get settled in. My mom will stay for three weeks, and then fly home. She'll fly out once a month.
It was really cool to have my dad here for Father's Day. Really cool.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of my parent's over the next several months than I've seen of them in the last 5 years.
Pretty cool, no?!
Friday, June 7, 2013
I found this really neat idea at Wifessionals, and joined up to be part of the swap. Basically, you get a name and someone gets your name--you get to know two new people, and you send them a gift box with at least 5 items that meet the theme of the month. This month's theme is "take me to the fair". How fun is that?! Who doesn't like getting presents in the mail?!
Here's the link if you're interested.
Thursday, June 6, 2013
Hey guys, sorry I've been under the radar. I had really hoped to keep blogging throughout June, but I've just finished orientation at work, and am now officially on my own case managing a VERY active rapid rehab. Sooooo, I'm going to concentrate on that right now, and will post as I can. I'm still keeping up with reading you, though, and will comment from time to time....so I'm not GONE or anything :)
Saturday, June 1, 2013
1) This song is about a girl who can't accept how pretty she is. How do you respond to compliments? Do you accept them graciously, or do you get embarrassed?
I think I accept them graciously. I don't embarrass that easily.
2) Bruno says he takes inspiration from a variety of musical styles -- everything from rock to reggae to hip hop. What kind of music do you listen to most often?
Mostly rock. Some jazz occasionally.
3) Bruno's uncle was a professional Elvis impersonator, and as a little boy Bruno also performed on stage as the King. When you picture Elvis, do you think of early rock'n'roll Elvis from the 1950s, Technicolor Hollywood Elvis of the 1960s, or the rhinestone jumpsuit Elvis who performed in Las Vegas?
I always think of the early rock and roll Elvis from the 50s.
4) Bruno plays several instruments onstage, including piano, guitar and congas. What instruments can you play?
HA! Not a damn thing. Although, I always liked hand-held percussion things. I'm envious of hubby, because he can play guitar.
5) Bruno is touring all over the country this summer. What's the last concert you attended?
Joe Satriani a few years ago at the Florida Theater in Jacksonville. He's coming to Albuquerque in September and I'm hoping we'll get to go.
6) Unlike some other stars, Bruno doesn't demand a lot of luxuries on the road, but he did admit to TMZ that he insists Wet Wipes be provided for his dressing room. If you could ask your boss for anything, anything at all, to make your workplace more comfortable, what would you request?
I'm amazingly fortunate that I work from my home these days, so I am a happy, happy camper! I wouldn't mind a larger (27") computer monitor though....my vision isn't what it used to be.
7) Rumors are flying that Bruno might become a judge on American Idol. Are you an Idol fan? Do you watch any of the other "talent search" shows -- The Voice, America's Got Talent, The X Factor, etc.?
Never watched them, never wanted to, never cared.
8) Bruno is an unapologetic cigarette smoker. Do you smoke? Have you quit? Or did you never start?
I am down to two cigarettes a day most days (can't seem to let go of the "in the car" cigarette). I'm closer to quitting than I have been in a long while.
9) Billy Joel also had a hit with the title "Just the Way You Are." If we were going to do karaoke, which version would you sing -- Billy's or Bruno's?
Billy, I would imagine, since I have no clue who is this Bruno that you speak of :)
On top of those things, the man is an outstanding cook--he does all the cooking in our house, because he loves to cook. He takes care of me. He's kind, witty, and loving. I love him to death!
Now, on a completely different note, here's my picture for today. This flower is a bloom on a bush I have growing in my yard. I have absolutely zero idea what kind of flower this is, so if anybody can identify it, you'll get a shout out on this blog. Remember, I live in New Mexico, so anything that doesn't grow in a dry climate is strictly out. Good luck!